Thursday, April 24, 2008

My Saturday

I got back from London late last Friday night, and woke up very early Saturday morning as a result of jet lag. In fact, I was up so early that I ended up eating lunch at 10:30. I then went to the Upper East Side for brunch with my client Brian Jones and his editor at Arcade (If I was a hobbit than this eating schedule would have been fine).

We had a wonderful time, and then we all headed over to the majestic New York Society Library, where Brian was scheduled to speak that afternoon. He gave a wonderful talk that captured the essence of Washington Irving and his celebrity, and he had the whole audience enthralled. An audio of his talk can be heard here.


Still, I have to admit that I started to fade a little bit by the time I got home and I was looking forward to a nap on my couch. But somehow i had forgotten that the Spurs were playing Phoenix in the first game of the playoffs. Of course, it ended up being one of the best games I've ever seen, a thrilling double overtime victory over those whiny Suns.

As you can imagine, I didn't even get a wink of snooze time.

But my Saturday wasn't over yet. Once the game ended my wife and I headed out to a small gathering to celebrate Jim Butcher's recent book success (he's on The New York Times Bestseller list for SMALL FAVOR and has a new graphic novel out). I had a wonderful time, and the wife confirmed after that I didn't slobber too much - a legitimate concern not just because I'm a big fan, but because by then I was seeing double.


We got home. I crashed hard. A pretty cool Saturday, I have to say.

5 comments:

Maya Reynolds said...

Jonathan: I finished SMALL FAVOR on Tuesday night.

My sense was that this was Butcher's best book thus far. He has a fully realized world, with great characters and lots of action. I hated to finish the book.

Regards,

Maya

Dharma Kelleher said...

Suns fans are not whiny! We're not! We're not! Okay, maybe we are.

BTW, my nickname for Shaq is Home Depot because he lumbers around and throws bricks from the free throw line.

Glad you made it home safely and got some sleep!

Dharma
Phurnace, AZ

Josephine Damian said...

Agent Jonathan,

I'm reading Brian's book right now (saw it when you mentioned it a few weeks back).

Really LOVING it, and will do a review once I'm done. I'll send you the link to post when I do.

Jonathan Lyons said...

Glad you like it so far! Have you read about the publicity hoax yet for A History of New York?

Josephine Damian said...

Agent Jonathan,

When I read about that hoax, I said, "Now, why didn't I think of that!?"

*Josie bows head in shame*