Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday Musings

The conversation regarding too many writers spoiling the soup continued on Jennifer Jackson's blog this week, here and here.

Jaye Wells just wrote her first official post for League of Reluctant Adults.

Jonathan Bender has started blogging about his LEGO quest.

Sarah at Deepish Thoughts continues to crack me up with her shrewd and entertaining observations. In case you haven't read anything of hers before, I suggesting checking out this one, this one, and this one too.

And finally, Colleen Lindsay had a great post about fan-fic and copyright infringement. I think I can count on my fingers the amount of times I've yelled in the past few years, but one of those instances was in dealing with someone who wrote a sequel to a great American classic that my former agency represented. Still gets me angry now actually. Errr.

11 comments:

Ryan Field said...

This whole fan-fic thing is creepy and complicated. You may want to club me, but I'm not really sure I get it completely. Would a book like RHETT BUTLER'S PEOPLE be considered fan-fic? I think the author had permission to write this; I could be wrong. But, with or without permission, isn't a book like this fan-fic? Some use the word sequel, but didn't Margaret Mitchell flatly refuse to write a sequel herself?

Jonathan Lyons said...

Well, I think RBP is both a prequel and a sequel in terms of actual content, but I think that is beside the point. I don't consider this fan fiction because the Mitchell estate gave their approval. Without approval it's just copyright infringement.

Brian Jay Jones said...

K/S fan-fic, anyone?

(Say it with me: GAAAAAH!!!)

La Gringa said...

Thanks for the link, sir. :-)

Jonathan Lyons said...

De nada.

Ryan Field said...

Makes sense.

December/Stacia said...

The Mitchell estate sought out the guy who wrote RBP. It was an interesting concept (and not a terrible book, although not a great one or even a very good one), but I do wish just once they'd hire someone who actually read and enjoyed GWTW, instead of a woman who "hated Scarlett" and a man who couldn't even be bothered to read the book once, but instead had his wife write a "detailed timeline" for him. Sigh. GWTW deserves better than that.

Jaye Wells said...

Thanks for the shout out!

Adaora A. said...

I'm amazed that people think its actually OK to send in a submission to an agent that is a work of...fan fiction. Does it not factor in their head that it came from somewhere? Do you even reply to these queries Mr. Lyons?

Jonathan Lyons said...

I usually just say not for me.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the link! Rob thanks you, too, I'm sure...