Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Has GalleyCat Lost It's Meow?

I teach a contracts class for MediaBistro, and so I'm a bit biased when I say that I think they offer wonderful resources for media professionals. Despite this, I still feel compelled to comment on the recent drop in quality in GalleyCat, their daily newsfeed.

Since 2005 GalleyCat has been a staple of my daily reading. If you've never read it before, imagine Publisher's Lunch without the deals, but broader coverage. I was worried that there would be a drop in quality when Sarah Weinman left for greener pastures, but Ron Hogan continued to maintain a high quality.


It's only been in the past few weeks that I've noticed a drop - a smug tone has infiltrated a few of the posts, older stories are being recycled, and the overall writing quality has dropped a bit.

Here's hoping that the ship gets turned around soon.

7 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Thank you for saying something about this; I was wondering if it was only my perception. Also, too many stories about the same three people. Enough already!

I, too, hope the ship rights itself.

Kelly said...

Agreed. It's a disappointment, that's for sure.

And, there are too many book party stories. How many readers are really interested in book parties? I'm not, that's for sure.

Jonathan Lyons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaye Wells said...

The Sloane Crosley party stories became a bit tiresome.

December/Stacia said...

I've noticed this too. I go to Gawker for my Gawkerish stuff, if that's what I'm in the mood for.

Gabrielle said...

I hope the quality improves. GalleyCat is the gossip feed the publishing world can feel good about reading. :)

Julia said...

Yes, what December/Stacia said.

I actually flounced out of Gawker when it became the Julia Allison/Jakob Lodwick Show; I'd hate to see Galleycat follow that lead and become a house organ for a few bloated egos.