Monday, June 30, 2008

The Summer Slowdown

Each year at about this time the publishing industry goes quiet. Business is still done, but for most at a slower pace or smaller scale than the rest of the year. For many of us this means a welcome opportunity to finally catch up on all that reading.

Considering there will be less news, I'll probably be posting once or twice a week for the next month or so. As always, feel free to write in with questions, and I'll try to answer as my schedule allows.

For now, I suggest checking out this intriguing essay in the Washington Post from Twelve publisher Jonathan Karp (registration required).

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Though I know the industry is theoretically slowing down, I have to say it doesn't feel like it from my desk. Late adds, new employees, and a boss who's headed out on maternity leave...all seem to be bent on destroying the beauty that is Summer Fridays.

Ryan Field said...

That was a great piece by Karp. Blind hope, and, taking chances are what it's all about. But you have to wonder about all this recycled drek he talks about, and who is giving books deals to the likes of Dick Morris and Clay Aiken. Seriously, when two of the most repulsive people on the planet get book deals you can't help but wonder who is making the decisions.

Jennifer Jackson said...

I thought that was a really intriguing essay too (and was writing my entry about it around the same time you posted this).

Have to say I agree with Sarah -- no slowing down here as yet.

Kimber Chin said...

As long as the great summer reads don't slow down (gazing fondly over my growing TBR pile)

Pema said...

Is there a specific reason the industry slows down around this time? I know for me, summer is usually the time when I get more writing done... so is that the case?

Is the business quiet because many people are using this time to write and not submit yet? Or is there another? Thank you!

Jonathan Lyons said...

For quite a few reasons, but mostly it's the time when many editors and their bosses will take vacations, so less decisions can be made on acquiring. In fact, in Europe man publishers and agents shut down their offices for a month.