21. Who hit Norman Mailer on the head with a hammer in a fight?
22. What song was parodied in the famous copyright law case Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc.?
"Oh, Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison
23. Which book begins with the following line: “The snow in the mountains was melting and Bunny had been dead for several weeks before we came to understand the gravity of our situation.”
A Secret History by Donna Tartt
24. How many total television shows or series are currently on HBO, Showtime, CBS, NBC, CW, FOX, and/or ABC that are adapted from books? Please do not include reruns, miniseries that have completed their run and are now available on demand, canceled shows, etc. Also, do not include shows that led to book spin-offs (for example, Heroes). Next, any new show that has not premiered can’t be included. Finally, this question only applies to shows that new episodes air during prime time (i.e. 8-11pm EST).
8, though I'm also accepting 7 or 9. All I'm looking for is a number, so if you said the right amount but then listed shows that were wrong I'll still count it as right.
Gossip Girl, Dexter, Privileged, Friday Night Lights, True Blood, Lipstick Jungle, and The Unit. Smallville is adapted on the Superman comic books, but if you didn't include this in your count I won't count it against you. Bones is only loosely based on the works of Kathy Reichs though I'll count it.
Secret Diary of a Call Girl is based on a blog. Crusoe and In Harm's Way haven't premiered yet. Army Wives appears on Lifetime. Ghost Whisperer is based on the life of Mary Ann Winkowski and not her books.
I know this question was brutal, but I wanted to add something that couldn't be answered with a simple google search.
25. What is the industry standard literary agency commission for domestic sales and foreign sales?
15% for domestic sales and 20% for foreign sales
26. What type of books did Da Capo Press publish when it was first founded?
27. When did Knopf become a part of Random House?
28. Which agent represents Mike Lupica, Leigh Montville, Thomas Friedman, and Steve Martin?
Esther Newberg at International Creative Management
29. Which editor threatened to resign if his employers did not agree to publish The Fountainhead?
30. At the National Book Awards, which author said the following to industry professionals who take pride in having not read writers like Grisham, Clancy and other popular writers: “Do you think you get social academic brownie points for deliberately staying out of touch with your own culture?”
31. What was the major issue in the landmark copyright case New York Times Co. v. Tasini? Please be brief (a few words is enough).
Who owns the copyright of the content of a newspaper database.
32. How much did Harlan Coben’s first novel sell for?
According to this great article, Coben received an advance of $2,000. However, if you want to be literal, I guess it also sold at $19.95, the original cover price.
33. List 3 examples of authors who have children who are also authors and 3 examples of husband-wife writing pairs.
There are tons, but here are a few of the big ones. Parent/Child: Stephen King & Joe Hill, Mary Higgins Clark & Carol Higgins Clark, and James Lee Burke and Alafair Burke. Husband/Wife: Jonathan Kellerman and Faye Kellerman, Michael Chabon & Ayelet Waldman, Jonathan Safran Foer and Nicole Krauss.
34. Name one country that at one time banned Black Beauty.
35. What is the fee for registering your copyright electronically with the U.S. Copyright Office?